Have it Our Way, Oddballs

whopper

In 1998 Burger King took out a full page ad in USA Today announcing a “Left-Handed Whopper” specially designed for left-handed Americans. The new burger included the same ingredients as the original Whopper but all the condiments were rotated 180-degrees to accommodate left-handers.

Lefties were delighted! Finally – the world was recognizing that not all people are right-handed and the other 11% of the population was getting some respect. Thousands of ‘right – as a second hand’ customers rushed into BK’s across the nation requesting the new sandwich.

But there was no new sandwich. Surprised at the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response, a sheepish Burger King was forced to issue a press release the next day admitting the whole thing was a hoax.

Left-handers were not amused. Now, instead of being ignored, the overly-sensitive paranoids thought they were being mocked and ridiculed by a national restaurant chain. Of course they were “right” – 90% of us know they’re genetic mutants, not ‘getting with the program’ for their entire lives.

6 Responses to “Have it Our Way, Oddballs”

If people are this stupid, how can you be surprised by their political views?

I remember a story, when “Sunlight” dish-washing liquid came out, and the TV ads said it had the juice of real lemons. I think it was in Maine, but 30 people went to the hospital for stomach aches because they put it in their iced tea: – )

Steve, that’s called ‘natural selection’ – a culling of the herd.

Wow! I only have pity for people who know no better. Of course, I do have an advantage. My first job outside of babysitting was at Burger King. Because of this I know, one would have to rotate the condiments a full 360 degrees to accomodate a left handed person:) Duh.

5. Joe Bele-Isle says:

Damn I feel dumb now, I’ve been going specifically for their left handed sandwiches.And I thought the folks who said my lemonade was too soapy were idiots.

6. Joe Bele-Isle says:

Couldn’t you just turn the hamburger over and stand on your head to eat it?. People really used to think left handed people had the mark of the devil.