Now I Know I’ve Got a Heart, ‘Cuz It’s Breaking

amyboo1

Mr. Boo Radley, pet of my “twin” and best friend Amy will have to be put to sleep soon. My heart is aching for her. Beloved pets wrote the book on unconditional love.  At times they love us more than we love ourselves.  And their love is innocent and pure, uncomplicated by all the questions and conditions we attach to our feelings.

The best memory I will always have of Boo is that he was spoiled, cried over, nursed, hugged, respected, talked to, and loved by a remarkable woman.  Few living things on earth have ever been so fortunate.

I know my friends will direct positive thoughts and energy to a wonderful dog and his loving owner.  And maybe we can all hug our own pets a little closer tonight thinking of Boo.

The title quote is from the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz

6 Responses to “Now I Know I’ve Got a Heart, ‘Cuz It’s Breaking”

1. amy stahl says:

Most spoiled dog I have ever owned.
    Any other dog I ever owned was fit to ride the bed of the truck.
    Not this guy. He had to ride up front.
    It was just understood.
    Dont even mention a leash.

Most sensitive guy ever.
    Seen some of weirdest, meanest, craziest shit ever too…

End of an era.

Boo Radley 1996-2009
    Will be with my Dada and Sunday now.

Boo Radley is one of the few dogs of whom I was not afraid (I was bitten by a dog when I was a kid). I remember one of my first times walking into Amy’s living room and there he was sleeping on the couch “Uh-oh”, I thought. Remember – he had never seen me before.

I remember him barely lifting his head, looking at me, and then putting his head back down – immediately falling back to sleep. I thought, “Christ, I could be an ax murderer and it wouldn’t alarm that dog!”

My pup is 6 years old and 9 lbs. My main worry in life is that my wife and I might pass before the next six or seven years are up and because the people that had her as a puppy had her trained to go on a small bathroom rug. From being left alone inside- probably locked in the bathroom because she’s scared to death of being alone. Sleeps on my lap because I can’t sleep laying down, not COPD, it’s skeletal. My sister in law said she’d take care of her if anything happenned to us but choked up when I told her “Puppie pads” for the bathroom cost about $13 a month. That’s almost 2 six packs, WAAY to big a sacrafice. Nobody loves your pet like you do. I HAVE to outlive mine, I don’t want to have to leave her to strangers that don’t know her. Good natured cats can make a new home easily, but a dog is people.

Very sorry to hear. I dread the day when my dog leaves.
    I think I’d rather go before her, but then, who would take care of her the way I do.
    Amazing how attached you become to them.
    I can’t imagine life without my dog.

Amy, my heart goes out to you too! I hope Mr. Boo Radley sees my dog Mitzie and my parent’s dog Gertie and they become friends.

My cat, Sheeba, (which my parents adopted from me 10+ years ago) died the week before last. She was 12 years old.

Sometimes its easier when you live away from home. I can pretend Gertie & Sheeba are still alive….I only have to notice their absence when I travel to visit my parents.

I wish you could do the same Amy. I’m sorry.

6. amy stahl says:

Yeah.
    I wanted to go first.
    Thats what I had planned.

As they stuck the neeedle in, I said, “hey I want some of that, baby. Shhh you know thats Momma’s favorite.. Im coming with you.. shhhh..”

thanks for all your well wishes guys. Im still having a hard time.
    always, amy