A Tax On Stupid People

500_ticket

Like me. And you – if you play New York State Lottery Games – or any Lotteries bigger than church bingo. The games have been called “voluntary taxes paid by people who are too dumb to understand odds”. Well I understand odds. My rationale is much more sophisticated than that. I pay a dollar or two to dream of winning and you can’t win if you don’t play. Pretty smart, huh? Naw, not so smart. Actually it’s pretty dumb when you know the odds – which you can find on the NYLottery website.

See the pretty ticket above? It costs a dollar. And $500.00 a week for Life is a pretty good prize, right? So here come the official NYS odds for this dream. We’ll start on the smaller prizes first – get ready to WIN!

The odds against winning $1 are 8.77 to 1. For you non-bettors, that means on average, you’d have to buy about NINE tickets to scratch off a dollar winner. But, as the brighter ones in the group have already figured out, you don’t really “win” a dollar because that’s how much you paid for the ticket. So, OK – to win a dollar, you’ve really got to win $2 on the ticket. Odds against a two dollar ticket? About 47 to 1. WHAT? That’s right, Skippy; to actually win a dollar, on average, you’d have to scratch off 47-tickets.

It gets better, right? Right, this is New York State. To win $10, you’ll have to scratch 200 tickets. $100? Get ready to buy 50- thousand, 400-tickets. That’s a lot of buying and scratching for a hundred bucks. And the Grand Prize? $500 a week for Life? Get your coin out and start scratching. Better make it a few coins, you’ll need to scratch 7,938,000 tickets.

Don’t tell anyone though. It kind of ruins the game if you know it would take almost three entire lifetimes of around-the-clock scratching to win $500 a week for the rest of your life. Plus, about $8-million dollars in tickets.

You never gamble on a dull presentations at: www.PresentationsUnplugged.com

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “A Tax On Stupid People”

1. steve p says:

…yeah I’m pissed too,I didn’t win last night either.cheers

Yeah, I never buy these things.
    Aptly named, “tax on stupid people”.
    My mother buys these, I tell her to just give the money to me, I could hide it and at the end of the year give it all back to her and she could pretend she won the lottery.

I was reading something else and one person had a good idea on how to get rid of stupid people. Take all the stupid warning signs off of stuff, like, “Don’t stand on the top rung.” And eventually all the really stupid people will disappear.

Once in a while I’ll buy a lottery ticket just for esses and gees. My husband always gets totally irritated with me.

You see gentlemen, statistics don’t mean a whole lot. I could go in and buy 1 lottery ticket and win a million dollars, or I could buy 7,937,999 tickets and not win. Its the lure of the mere possibility for some. For most, I agree. Its a tax on stupid people.

5. Hobosic says:

Greatings, Can i get a one small photo from your site?
    Thanks

A lot has to do with the “risk/reward ratio”. Sure you’ll pay a buck for a pocketful of dreams – but chances are you wouldn’t pay $50 no matter what the prize.

Advertising capitalizes on this by saying “if you don’t play, you can’t win”. Makes sense, especially if your risk is only one dollar. So $1 (risk) to a $million (reward) are fair odds. $50? No.

Well, it i sfunny that people gripe about taxes, when they use the roads, schools, etc. and see the fruit of their payments…whereas, they play the lottery see NOTHING, and are still enamored with the “possibilities”.
    “Oh boy, if I won the lottery…”

What? What if you won? We’ve already seen Britney and what happens when white-trash has money. Disaster. Just shallow people with more money.”Oooh, baby, I’m’a buy me a jet-ski for the baby!!!!”